Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Urologist said WHAT?

The last few days have been filled with intense hip pain so I was relieved that I had an appointment with my friendly neighborhood chiropractor today. *smile* When the pain is not quite as bad, the relief I get from him tends to last up to four days while during my less-than-adequate-periods, I'm lucky if it lasts a day and a half.  Yet I'll take whatever relief he can give me and for however long it will last.  At least it's something.

After my chiropractor was my follow-up appointment with my urologist.  He needed to see me post kidney stone fiasco but as it turns out, it's very likely that I have NOT passed the painful stone.  WHAT??!!!  Since my trouble urinating has increased dramatically since the kidney stone incident on the last day of March, my urologist feels very strongly that I probably have yet to pass the stone so he has ordered x-rays of that area.  If the x-rays do not show anything, he may order CT scans.  If it shows that the stone is still in my body, I will have a choice to make.  Do I want to have it surgically removed or wait for it to pass on it's own?  Ugh.. what a decision to make!  But I think I already know what I will decide.  I prefer to not have surgery if at all possible and since I already know what that horrible pain is, I won't hesitate to call my parents the moment I feel it again.  I also have a bottle of the pain pills my E.R. doctor prescribed so I would take those the moment the pain kicks in and hope the stone passes quickly.  I am not looking forward to going through that again, but it looks like I may not have a choice.  Damn.
For the most part, though, I have to say that today turned out much better than I could have foreseen.  My parents drove to my home and I thought they would both accompany me to my appointments, but Dad chose to stay behind so he would have time to do some much needed yard work.  Mom also had a chiro appointment as she has been having pain on the back of her head and in her neck, so we headed that way and then to my urologist.  While we were waiting to be called back to the examination room, Mom and I had a chance to talk for a short while and what I love so much about my mother is how easy it is for me to open up to her and she with me.  She is absolutely one of my very best friends and I treasure her (and my dad!) with all my heart.

My parents are both Catholic, although they tend to lean more towards Christianity than straight Catholic doctrine, so they are definitely more open minded than most Catholics I have known in my life.  When I share my thoughts and feelings on different topics, I try to choose the right words as to not offend them.  My Mom tends to listen and reflect on my words to get back to me at a later time as to how she felt.  She prefers to think before responding and I truly wish I reacted this way!  I'm more of an open-mouth-insert-foot type of person, which isn't a great way to be.  But today, everything was absolutely wonderful.  We talked, laughed, almost cried, shared and held hands for a bit before being called by the nurse.  It was a good day, even with that impending kidney stone lurking in the back of my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment